Recognized as the cradle of functional safety, the process industry was the first to develop and introduce functional safety standards following hazardous incidents in a number of process industry plants in the late 1990s. IEC 61508 was the result. Since then this has been followed by a range of application specific standards like IEC 61511, and Germany’s VDI/VDE 2180 to cover safety relevant applications in the process industry.
Working to the latest version of IEC 61511, SGS functional safety experts can help you take advantage of, and ensure compliance with, the numerous updates. While the standard seems to better reflect real life practice, meeting all of its normative requirements remains a challenge.
FUNCTIONAL SAFETY SERVICES FOR THE PROCESS INDUSTRY
Our knowledgeable experts, with long experience in the process industry sector, can keep you up to date with the latest standards and requirements for safety engineering/operations and can check your safety designs.
We offer a broad range of services, including:
- Process updates according IEC 61511 Edition 2
- Training in the use of IEC 61511 Edition 2 (for application engineers and operators)
- Workshops in probabilistic calculations and methods
- Consulting for implementing necessary engineering steps according the life cycle model of IEC 61511 Edition 2
- Gap analysis for existing development processes
- Design verification of safety instrumented functions (SIF) according the requirements of IEC 61511 Edition 2 (including probabilistic calculations)
- Assessment of performed design verification resulting in a technical report
- Assessment of the implemented safety process steps
- Certification of engineering processes and applications according IEC 61511 Edition 2